Thursday, April 16, 2015

KATHRYN DART





Introducing mother artist Kathryn Dart an emerging artist in Indianapolis,IN with a studio at the Harrison Center for the Arts. I first met Kathryn in the mother artist circle at the Harrison Center.. it has been a joy to get to know her and her children. I hope that you enjoy her interview!

Where are you from?
I grew up in Southern Indiana, in a small town near the Ohio River.   


Where do you reside currently? 

I live in St. Clair Place on the near east 
side of Indianapolis.   



What do you love about your city?  

I love so many things about Indianapolis, but my favorite aspect of the city is the people who live here. Everywhere I go I meet people who are kind, passionate, and eager to invest in our communities and neighborhoods. Indianapolis is small enough that anyone can make an impact and large enough to have the perks of a big city­­like an art scene­­on a smaller scale.  

Tell us about your childhood? 

I’m lucky to have grown up with a pretty idyllic childhood. My family was and is very close; family dinner with my parents and two brothers was an important constant growing up. We would all have so much to say that we’d have to pass the “talking stick” to take turns sharing. I spent my childhood reading books, organizing neighborhood water fights, and being an overachiever at school. My mom is a chemical engineer and was one of very few women working in the field when she started. She faced so many challenges and pushed past them with her talent. As I got older I realized more and more what she endured and how much strength that took. I’ve always admired her for it.  

Tell us about your educational background and did it help you to get where you are now?

I majored in East Asian Studies at DePauw University. I started learning Japanese in high school and continued in college and studied abroad in Japan for a year. I loved the language and have always enjoyed learning about all aspects of different cultures: art, literature, history, religion. Most of what I learned isn’t necessarily relevant to my day­to­ day life now, but the experiences I had absolutely informed the person I have become. Being immersed in a different culture, experiencing new things, and studying the art and history of another country helped to shape my personality as well as the lens through which I see the world. So even though I’m not employed for anything related to my major, I value my education very highly. 



When did you decide that you wanted to be an artist?  

In second grade I drew a blue whale in art class. I showed it to my art teacher, quite proud of myself. Her response crushed me! I never considered the idea of becoming an artist because this Very Important Adult had told me I had no talent. I always brought creativity to everything I did, though, and pursued other arts, like writing and music. I dabbled in photography and sculpture a bit, but it wasn’t until I discovered encaustic that I really embraced art as something I could do. I fell in love with the texture, the smell, the layers. With the encaustic medium, it felt like I had found my native language. That’s when I knew.  




Who influenced you as an artist? 

My biggest influence is probably my best friend, fellow artist Shannon Newby (www.newbyart.com). She introduced me to encaustic (thanks, Shannon!). When the two of us are together, we feed on each others’ creativity. She is so talented, and I love seeing what she’s working on. 




What is your medium of choice and why?  

Encaustic is my primary medium, which essentially means I paint or make sculpture with beeswax. I also love to work with paper, fabric and string, and wood (I am drawn to natural materials). Beeswax is the most versatile medium I’ve ever worked with, and I love its texture, the way it can be layered, and how it interacts with light.   





Explain your process ?  

It all starts with the beeswax, which I buy in bulk online or from local beekeepers when I can get it. I melt it on a hotplate (or three) in metal tins and add pigment to create the colors. For 2D work, I build up layers of wax, fusing each one the layer beneath it with a heat gun or propane torch. Each sculptural work has its own process, whether that’s dipping paper in wax, filling molds, or sewing pieces together.  



 What inspires your work?

I am inspired by my materials, my surroundings, and the people in my life. Often a body of work emerges from the themes I’m dealing with personally. A lot of the work from the last few years has deal with community and home, as I’ve moved into a house downtown, started a family, and tried to invest in my neighborhood.   



Do you have a studio and where is it? 
My studio is at the Harrison Center for the Arts, down in the Underground. I’ve been at the Harrison Center since 2009. I share with Candice Hartsough McDonald of Cordial Kitten fame.   




Has having a studio made a difference with being an artist?  

Absolutely. 
Having a space solely dedicated to my art ­making really made me step up my commitment to working. I had a place to go each day, without the distractions of home. It has led to opportunities just by being a part of the network there, and I have really enjoyed getting to know the other artists and learning from their processes.  




When did you become a mother? 

I became a mother in 2012 when my daughter Ruby was born. Gus came two years later in 2014.  





Has becoming a mother influenced your work? 

It definitely has, though not in huge, noticeable ways that I can point to, like major themes or subject matter (yet). But motherhood has affected every single thing about me, for better or worse.  




What has been the biggest challenge with balancing being an artist and a mother?

Time. 
It’s not safe for me to work with hotplates and blow torches around a one and three year ­old, so the only time I can work is when they are sleeping. If you know my kids you know that’s not often! I’m in the early years of parenting really small children, so my time is spent very intensively there. Even just three years of parenting has given me enough perspective to know it won’t always be so difficult.   

How have you risen above the challenge?
I do have a few hours a week when someone watches them so I can work, and I fight to protect that time, but inevitably I sometimes have to spend it doing other important tasks. My biggest motivator to make time for my work is a deadline. I’ve discovered that giving myself impossible deadlines just drives me to prove to myself that I can do it. This often means staying up very late for stretches of time and then slowing back down to recoup. It probably isn’t the healthiest way to live, but it’s what I do. I don’t think the perfect balance exists for me. Each aspect of life takes center stage at different times. It ebbs and flows. Sometimes my focus is relationships, sometimes it is rest, and sometimes my husband sacrifices so I can have as many studio hours as humanly possible. 





Do you make art along side your children?  

I really don’t because of the safety concerns. Depending on what I’m working on, I may be able to carry small bits of it with me and work on it when I have a minute or two, but for the most part the two things have to be separate. I also really need pretty intense concentration to really dive into my work. As they get older, I definitely see us creating things together.   19. Your work touches on issues of identity and human nature ­ can you tell us a little more about that?  When it comes down to it, my work is about people ­­who we are, why we do what we do. I try to get at a little bit of truth through the concepts my work explores. 



You recently had a show with your husband ­ tell us about that body of work, what it was like working together and what you learned. 

My husband created a series of poems using the programming language JavaScript. Together we brainstormed ways to express these concepts visually. I made a piece for each of his poems, and we displayed them together with a projection of one of his programs running. It was a very interesting process and very different from my usual way of working. Usually I am the expert on my own work, but this time I made artwork in response to someone else’s ideas. It was challenging, and I think it’s my best work to date.   




What is it like to have a partner who is also an artist? 

Joel probably wouldn’t give himself the title of “artist,” but I believe it’s something that is just in a person whether they create art or not. I see him bring his creative genius to every aspect of life: his humor, his passion, and the way he plays with our kids. I love connecting with him over ideas. We love to discuss concepts in film, art, and music and are always sharing new ideas we’ve come across.




What was it like to quit your day job and become an artist? What have you learned so far? 

I have learned that is very difficult to make a business of art but that it’s worth it to try. I am lucky that my husband’s job provides for our family so we don’t have to depend on art sales to get by. I’m very thankful to be able to pursue my passion of art. I quit my full ­time job before I had children and had almost two years of working solely on my art before I became a stay at home mom. That was a wonderful time! I will have it again someday.  




How has starting a family changed the dynamics between two parent artists? 

We just have less time to talk and collaborate and have to find new ways of working. For example, during the preparation for our show, we settled on how to proceed with a new piece over a discussion via text message while each of us was working to get the kids to bed. Joel has written several poems on his ipod while rocking our children to sleep. I am always making lists and writing down ideas while nursing the baby. He says we have to “fight for the inches.” The work won’t get done any other way.




Do you feel that female artists are taken seriously in todays society? 

Yes and no. It’s not a perfect world, but things have come a long way. I do see more men achieving success than women (more shows, more sales, more press, etc.).  




What would you like to see change in the world for female, mother artists? 

I would love to see more opportunities targeted for mothers. I often think of applying for residencies, but leaving my children or arranging childcare in a different location just isn’t feasible. Residencies or grants created with mothers in mind would go a long way.   I love the work Lenka Clayton is doing with her Artist Residency in Motherhood, where the work of motherhood itself is the grounds for her artwork. http://residencyinmotherhood.com/about­the­artist­residency/ 


If there was a grant available that supported mother artists specifically ­ would you apply for it? 

 I definitely would! Can someone make that happen, please? 





At the end of the day ­ what would you like to be remembered for as an artist? 

 I would love to remembered as an artist that made thoughtful work, art that asked questions, or art that made you feel something.   



To find out more information regarding Kathryn and her work please check out her website : 
www.kathryndart.com


* All photos belong to and were submitted by the artist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment