Wednesday, July 2, 2014

SIDONIA NICOLAE MORALES

   


  What is your name?

   My name is Sidonia Nicolae Morales


  Where are you from? 

  Originally I’m from Bucharest, Romania.




  Where do you live?  

  Now I live in Indianapolis.. with my husband, my daughter and our two cats. 









  When did you realize that you wanted to be an artist?

   I think being an artist is not a matter of “want”.  In some way everybody is an artist, because I believe, everybody was born with the gene of creativity, originality, with the need of expressing themselves in different ways.  This comes instinctively from inside as a need and it is essential for all human beings. As I remember I was 5 or 6, when I really realized that what I was drawing is cool. I was like: “I can see, I can see!”. My first really good draw was a clown.I still remember it, the wind was taken away one day, because was always with me. I was sad for 3 seconds then I realized that I can draw thousands of them. And I did it.





Who influenced you as an artist?

I think my mom was drawing my homework. I do not remember her drawing, just then, when I was little and she drew my homework about sports, I asked her to draw me people fencing.  Every stage of my life was influenced in some way. In middle school I was influence by stories, I drew princesses, in high school I drew big posters about famous singers and actors and I sold them. I was growing up in communism, where posters were sold very expensive and they were not very big. Now I’m influenced by everyday life, people. That’s why I love images which show the life, so I make pictures too. 




What is your favorite medium?

I do not have favorite medium.



Do you have a studio?

I do not have a studio, I paint in one of the room where I work. You can name it studio 






When did you become a mother?

On the 28th of April,1999


What are your challenges as a mother artist?

There was no challenge as an artist, but as a person became a mother I was metamorphosed.


What has been the driving force behind keeping a balance between being a mother and an artist?

My life gave me a lot of challenges. I moved a couple of times, other culture, other language, and I had periods when I did not draw anything. I become a mother in one of these periods. And I did not even feel the need to draw or paint, but I sew a lot, I did almost all of my summer clothes, I danced a lot. After I became a mother, I start to photograph. All of these events and changes just happened and I just go and go as they took me, no hard time, no forcing, just enjoy all what came. Everything happened just naturally.  When my daughter was very little I dedicated my life to her without feeling the need to create anything. I saw to for her too and I made pictures about her. This is art, and I never thought to do it, I just do it. She started to draw at an early age, she was fantastic. Now she is better than me. To answer your question, I did not try to keep balance consciously, looking back I think you have to enjoy, to be open, to believe in your forces, your talent and yourself. Everything has the time, the perfect moment to be born, to grow and develop, and if you are balanced from inside, open to understand and to accept the challenges and the changes, you are prepare to enjoy the challenges and the changes, and everything will fall into place. 





When do you spend time making art?

Usually late afternoon or evening. I’m an owl. 



How many children do you have? 
Do you want more?

I have one daughter. I would like to have one more. 






Have you ever considered giving up art in order to be a mother?

No. If I feel, if I need to draw or paint or sew, or whatever, I do it. This has nothing in common with being a mother. It is part of life. With my daughter I changed the type of Art, maybe with the next child it will be different, who knows?  But I will not give up.  Giving up is a negative energy, I do not want my child to have a mother with negative energy. If I am happy I can make him happy. Both can go together and have to





Do you have support from your family and friends to keep making art?

Yes, I have their support, even if they are so far for such a long time. They encourage me. But now my daughter is my support, and I support her as well. She is drawing manga (comic).  Also my husband is being very supportive. 




Do you feel like you are taken seriously as a mother artist?

Yes. Who loves arts, who appreciates and is influenced and impressed by art,they are not bothered by the family or social status of the artist. The art itself gives the spark. I think.Yes you can be impressed by the artist, a single mother, or a young student or somebody who never took any art lessons, but whatever the influence is, it that has to be a positive one.  16.Has becoming a mother influenced your art? Maybe yes. I can not answer as I am a mother, and I do not know what kind of person I would be from the art point of view, if I would not be a mother. Yes, I guess yes.17.Do you think mother artists are taken seriously in society?Women artist in general faced challenges due to gender biases in the mainstream fine art world. We already passed that period.  The piece of work(painting, photo, music, dance, dress, statue….) is talking by itself, and that is what it matters. I want to believe  that.



What do you say when someone asks “what does your husband do for a living?” are you offended by such a question?

One of the lessons I already implemented: never feel offended . If I want to answer I would say: he is working in the private and public sectors. He loves his job. This is very important.


What is your story? 

I was born in Bucharest Romania. When I was 20 I moved to Transylvania then in Budapest, Hungary. I moved to Indianapolis last summer in 2013. I love cats, I brought my little cat from Budapest and now we adopted one more. My cats are my healing; when I hug them I feel a deep deep silence and peace. They are with me when I work, when I paint, when I cook…hope they feel the same when I hug them.

My passion for drawing and painting is just a hobby. I am thinking and plan to make more, to dedicate my entire time to art. I even like to start sewing and make photos again. 



What have you learned about balancing motherhood and your passions?

Not forcing. You can enjoy one thing at a time. Do what makes you feel happy. There are hard moments, accept them. There are difficult moments, understand them. Understand yourself, be patient, flow with the “river”. Being a mother is an art, a passion, not a duty. 




What advice can you offer other mother artist about pursuing their passions regardless of their situations?

Listen to your intuition, respect it and respect yourself.  Be open and pay attention to your feelings.  You know yourself better than anybody else.  Do art as much as makes you happy.  Express yourself. Do just what you love to do. I have a motto: Dance, when others expect you to cry.

Understand yourself, be patient, flow with the “river”. Being a mother is an art, a passion, not a duty. 


What do you want to be remembered for as an artist?

I would like to change the world, but I cannot.  Before I came here I gave almost all of my paintings to friends and family, it is a good feeling to know that your art brings a little happiness in someone’s life.




To see more work by Sidonia please visit:
https://www.facebook.com/PaintingsBySidonia

No comments:

Post a Comment