Tuesday, January 7, 2014

ABOUT ME


A little about me :

I graduated from Pike High School in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1995. I had a burning desire to be someone, to DO something and at the end of it all - teach art. I knew I was an artist and I knew that I was good with people, so - I left home and attended Anderson University. 


With high hopes - to be an artist.. I quickly discovered school was quite lonely. I missed home - missed family and missed everything that I was familiar with. I went home for a weekend - and was in a near fatal car accident. My life flashed before my eyes. For a solid week - I was hospitalized and my family waited to see if I would pull through. 

Diagnosis : aortic tare, 12 broken ribs, fractured pelvis, Broken collar bone and 2 collapsed lungs. 


By the grace of God - I lived! Here I am. 


The day came where I had to make a decision - and I took the logical approach not to return to art school. I took a year to recover, including learning how to walk, bathe, get in a car again. I cried a lot. Painting from my bedside - I got frustrated often.. I wanted to paint what I saw when I died. However, I couldn't. 


I recovered, I packed up and moved to Indianapolis where I was ready to start my life over. Bought a ticket to Europe for my 21st birthday and headed to London. I was chasing my dreams. Determined to be an artist - once again. 



Little did I know, my life was about to take another turn. While sitting on the toilet in a hotel in Zürich, Switzerland - staring at the positive sign on my pregnancy test.. I was indeed pregnant with my first child, Aidan. 


The news opened my eyes to a new me and for the first time I felt like I was forced to focus and take something seriously. I had a purpose outside of myself. I had no idea what that looked like but I planned to make it good. Once again - my life was re-routing. For the first time, I truly had to focus and take something seriously. I was confident - and I really wanted to make motherhood a priority. I wanted to make it good!


Fifteen years later - here I am, a mother artist, balancing both worlds and loving it. I had a studio at The Harrison Center in downtown Indianapolis. I am married and mother six children. I truly believe that everyone should follow their dreams. That balance is possible. You can have it all - if you want it badly enough. I love being a mother and I love art - I love it so much that I created MAP. I look at it as a well of inspiration..a database of very creative women. This project was created to inspire. To create a sisterhood of artists. This blog is a behind the scenes look into the lives of hardworking mother artists. Its about being a female artist and mother. Its about the marriage of the two. The woes, the thrills and the balancing act. Its about honesty and the journey, the stories of mother artists around the world. My goal is to share this with you through words and photographs.



Thank you for your curiosity, support and here's to mothering - and making amazing art!


Erin 

10 comments:

  1. Hello, I found this through a friend...John McKee. I am a mother and an artist. Well, I was an artist. I did go to herron and graduated and now I do not create art. :( My life is consumed by children and depression. I have great respect for you for keeping the passion and painting whenever and wherever! I miss painting so much and I know I would feel better if I did. We are actually considering a new place to live that would have a room where I could paint. Even if it's just a small corner, at least it would be my art area! Anyway, thank you for this. It is a great project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel- I am so happy that you Johnny shared this link with you. I hope this blog and project will be a source of inspiration for you. I know what it is like to ponder the question of "should I be an artist OR a mother". I have been there! I have felt the depression and cried many times about it myself. I set simple goals for myself - like a sketch a day.. (in a sketchbook) just to keep my mind in some sort of art mode. It helped me... it was a simple task but sometimes it felt like a huge one. Good luck to you! I hope you find the inspiration you need here! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I so SOOOO would love to be part of this!! Will there be a hashtag or anything of that nature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel- I am so happy you found out about the project. You can email me for more information on the process .. :) erin.huber@yahoo.com
      Hope to hear from you soon . Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I am so incredibly moved by your story. I am moved my the ownership you take of it and the vulnerability and honesty with which you tell it. YOU are an inspiration just as you are and I love this project. I found my way here through a link on FB from Lisa Wilson - a friend who always seems to motivate me to explore things with fresh eyes. I'm so glad she shared this ...as an artist, a writer and a mom it's exactly what I needed to see today. Good luck with this project. This little Mama from NYC will be following along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha - wow! Thank you very much! I got goosebumps reading your comments. I hope this blog and project will inspire women from all over the world.
      I was just in NYC - I hope this project continues and spreads to other cities.. maybe you'll join us here one day:) I hope so! Thank you for your support and inspiring words!

      Delete
    2. This is truly an inspiring idea - Thank you for sharing your story and insights. It was wonderful to meet you, and I appreciate you coming out to the show tonight (despite bed times and freezing temps)! I know this is going to be a successful project for you because of the way you reach out to other artist mothers, and share your true feelings about being both. I sometimes feel like a bad mother because I am still so active in the process of creating, photography has helped my do both.

      I would love to be involved in this project and will spread the word to my artist mothers!

      Delete
  4. Bravo!

    I look forward to reading more and following along with your embracing narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested as well. My daughter is also a photographer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know any mother artists I'd be happy to feature them here - email me at erin.huber@yahoo.com

      Delete